Evaluation, establishment and management of larger scale plantations
JATROPOWER personnel possess vast experience in evaluating plantation proposals in Asia, Africa, and Latin America and are monitoring and evaluating plantations and associated programs in India.
Alongside, the company has been intensively studying the plant during the past 6 years in its own research farms and analysing its performance on farmers’ fields in India and elsewhere under different conditions.
This combined experience has resulted in the development of commercially relevant knowledge on various aspects of Jatropha plantation projects such as:
- Development of a business model and identifying the critical aspects site by site using a theoretical calculation model
- Site evaluation (first using a Google-maps based tool followed by an on-site evaluation)
- Crop calendar set up
- Plantation strategy
- Management, maintenance, fertilisation and pest control
- Seed quality control
- Training on all aspects of jatropha cultivation to clients’ staff using training presentations
Special attention is required in particular during the first 2-3 years. The more marginal the land is on which Jatropha is planted, the more attention is needed to secure good results during these initial years. Depending on the agronomical conditions, among others the following factors have to be evaluated:
- need for life-saving irrigation in case there are large hot intervals between rains;
- supplementation with nutrients depending on their availability in the soil;
- maintenance of suitable plant architecture;
- weed control during and after the rainy season.
JATROPOWER can offer this knowledge as a package or individually according to the requirement of the clients. It is the company’s intention to put its knowledge to use to support the clients in the planning and conception of Jatropha projects and its profitable implementation.